Irish Soda Bread
41 Points for entire loaf (Weight Watchers)
- 4 cups Sifted flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Caraway seeds
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups light or dark raisins
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg yolk or cream or milk
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease iron frying pan (or 2 quart casserole dish)
- Sift together: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder
- Stir in Caraway seeds
- "Cut" in butter until it is like coarse corn meal
- Stir in raisins
- Combine: buttermilk, egg, baking soda and stir into the dry mix until just
- Shape into a ball and place into iron frying pan or casserole
- Cut a 4-inch cross into the top with a sharp knife
- Brush with beaten egg yolk, or cream, or milk.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes in casserole, or 40 minutes in iron frying pan.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove and cool on a rack before slicing.
Tastes great with butter or margarine spread on it (WMS).